Martin Luther King Jr. explained, "We must remember that intelligence isn't enough. Intelligence plus character is the goal of education."1 At Summer Fit, we couldn't agree more. That is why we focus on a whole body approach to summer learning that includes values.
Values are what give your child direction and drive. When you help your child learn and practice core values, they gain a love of learning as well as a desire to make a positive difference in the world.
A Values Education initiative in schools found that teaching values in schools improved school relationships, ambience, student well-being and academic diligence.
This is just one example of the power of values. As you and your child learn about values with Summer Fit ActivitiesTM, you will also experience growth in the classroom and at home.
Summer Fit Activities focus on a core values throughout the book, so by the end of summer, children will have learned 10 values that will help them become better leaders: honesty, compassion, trustworthiness, self-discipline, kindness, courage, respect, responsibility, perseverance, and friendship.
P-K, K-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6
|Honesty||Abraham Lincoln||Essa Khan||Canesha Blackman|
|Compassion||Mother Teresa||Oprah Winfrey||Eleanor Roosevelt|
|Trustworthiness||Harriet Tubman||Walter Cronkite||Dana Reeve|
|Self-discipline||Stephanie Lopez Cox||Jackie Robinson||Kristi Yamaguchi|
|Kindness||Princess Diana||Oral Lee Brown||Pele|
|Courage||Rosa Parks||Christine McAuliffe||Teddy Draper Sr.|
|Respect||Mahatma Gandhi||Harry S. Truman||The Dalai Lama|
|Responsibility||Terry Fox||Jimmy Carter||Rachel Carson|
|Perseverance||Bethany Hamilton||Wilma Rudolph||Sally Ride|
|Friendship||Lewis and Clark||Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan||J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis|
- Each value includes a reading comprehension activity based on role models from throughout the world.
- Core values align to each grade level so parents can use the role models and activities to reinforce the value with children in different grade levels who are working together.
- Live Earth Friendly activities reinforce values that encourge us to take care of our planet.
- Character Development and role model activities include child activities and parent talking points.
- Hands-on learning activities give you and your child a chance to practice and reinforce values together.
- 1. King, M. (1947, January). The Purpose of Education. Retrieved December 19, 2014, from http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/encyclopedia/documentsentry/doc_470200_000
- 2. Lovat, T., Toomey, R., Dally, K. & Clement, N. (2009). Project to test and measure the impact of values education on student effects and school ambience. Final Report for the Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) by The University of Newcastle. Canberra: DEEWR.